Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Sleep Health: Journal of the National Sleep Foundation
- Sleep duration, sleep quality, and sexual orientation: findings from the 2013-2015 National Health Interview Survey.Sleep Health. 2018; 4: 56-62https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleh.2017.10.004
- Poor sleep health and its association with mental health, substance use, and condomless anal intercourse among gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men.Sleep Health. 2016; 2: 316-321https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleh.2016.07.003
- The Health of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People: Building a Foundation for Better Understanding.National Academies Press (US), Washington, DC2011https://doi.org/10.17226/13128
- Minority stress and physical health among sexual minorities.Perspect Psychol Sci. 2013; 8: 521-548https://doi.org/10.1177/1745691613497965
- Prejudice, social stress, and mental health in lesbian, gay, and bisexual populations: conceptual issues and research evidence.Psychol Bull. 2003; 129: 674-697https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.129.5.674
- Minority stress and mental health among LGBT populations: an update on the evidence.Minerva Psichiatr. 2019; 60https://doi.org/10.23736/S0391-1772.18.01995-7
- Discrimination and sleep: a systematic review.Sleep Med. 2016; 18: 88-95https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2015.01.012
- Minority stress and the health of sexual minorities.In C. J. Patterson & A. R. D’Augelli (Eds.), Handbook of Psychology and Sexual Orientation. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2013: 252-266
- A systematic review of allostatic load, health, and health disparities.Biol Res Nurs. 2012; 14: 311-346https://doi.org/10.1177/1099800412455688
- Associations of allostatic load with sleep apnea, insomnia, short sleep duration, and other sleep disturbances: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005 to 2008.Ann Epidemiol. 2014; 24: 612-619https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2014.05.014
- Differential impact of experienced and anticipated discrimination on sleep and health among sexual minorities.Arch Sex Behav. 2021; 50: 3053-3063https://doi.org/10.1007/s10508-021-01981-2
- What reduces sexual minority stress? A review of the intervention “toolkit.”.J Soc Issues. 2017; 73: 586-617https://doi.org/10.1111/josi.12233
- Sleep disturbance in anxiety disorders.Int Rev Psychiatry. 2005; 17: 229-236https://doi.org/10.1080/09540260500104524
- Sleep and anxiety disorders.Dialog Clin Neurosci. 2003; 5: 249-258https://doi.org/10.31887/DCNS.2003.5.3/lstaner
- Sleep disturbance in generalized anxiety disorder and its treatment.Sleep Med Rev. 2000; 4: 263-276https://doi.org/10.1053/smrv.1999.0096
- Polysomnographic sleep patterns of non-depressed, non-medicated children with generalized anxiety disorder.J Affect Disord. 2013; 147: 379-384https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2012.08.015
- Same-sex sexual behavior and psychiatric disorders: findings from the Netherlands Mental Health Survey and Incidence Study (NEMESIS).Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2001; 58: 85-91https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.58.1.85
- Burden of psychiatric morbidity among lesbian, gay, and bisexual individuals in the California Quality of Life Survey.J Abnorm Psychol. 2009; 118: 647-658https://doi.org/10.1037/a0016501
- The mental health of sexual minority adults in and out of the closet: a population-based study.J Consult Clin Psychol. 2015; 83: 890-901https://doi.org/10.1037/ccp0000047
- Markers of chronic stress: prolonged physiological activation and (un)conscious perseverative cognition.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2010; 35: 46-50https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neubiorev.2010.01.004
- Physiological concomitants of perseverative cognition: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Psychol Bull. 2016; 142: 231-259https://doi.org/10.1037/bul0000036
- The effects of daily stress on positive and negative mental health: mediation through self-efficacy.Int J Clin Health Psychol. 2016; 16: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijchp.2015.08.005
- Reducing perceived stress improves sleep quality: a longitudinal outcomes study.CHEST. 2010; 138: 913Ahttps://doi.org/10.1378/chest.10417
- Venue-based versus geosocial networking application-based recruitment of young men who have sex with men: An examination of feasibility.Field Methods. 2022; 34(2): 142-162; https://doi.org/10.1177/1525822X211012260
National Center for Health Statistics. Urban rural classification scheme for counties. 2022. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data_access/urban_rural.htm Accessed October 22, 2022.
- Minority stress and mental health in gay men.J Health Soc Behav. 1995; 36: 38-56https://doi.org/10.2307/2137286
- Social discrimination, concurrent sexual partnerships, and HIV risk among men who have sex with men in Shanghai, China.AIDS Behav. 2008; 12: 71https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-008-9394-0
- Validation of the sexual orientation microaggression inventory in two diverse samples of LGBTQ youth.Arch Sex Behav. 2016; 45: 1289-1298https://doi.org/10.1007/s10508-016-0718-2
- A brief measure for assessing generalized anxiety disorder: the GAD-7.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 1092-1097https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.166.10.1092
- Development of short forms from the PROMISTM sleep disturbance and sleep-related impairment item banks.Behav Sleep Med. 2012; 10: 6-24https://doi.org/10.1080/15402002.2012.636266
PROMIS Health Organization. Sleep disturbance: a brief guide to the PROMIS sleep disturbance instruments. 2021. Available at: https://staging.healthmeasures.net/images/PROMIS/manuals/PROMIS_Sleep_Disturbance_Scoring_Manual.pdf Accessed June 21, 2022.
American Psychiatric Association. Level 2 sleep disturbance adult: PROMIS sleep disturbance short form. 2013. Available at:https://www.psychiatry.org/File%20Library/Psychiatrists/Practice/DSM/APA_DSM5_Level-2-Sleep-Disturbance-Adult.pdf Accessed June 21, 2022.
- Perceived stress in a probability sample of the United States.In S. Spacapan & S. Oskamp (Eds.), The Social Psychology of Health. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications, Inc., 1988: 31-67
- The moderator–mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1986; 51: 1173-1182https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1243
Center for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC - Data and statistics - sleep and sleep disorders. 2021. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/data_statistics.html Accessed July 11, 2022.
- Hair cortisol, stress exposure, and mental health in humans: a systematic review.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2013; 38: 1220-1235https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2012.11.015
- Homonegative microaggressions and their impact on LGB individuals: a measure validity study.J LGBT Issues Counsel. 2012; 6: 34-54https://doi.org/10.1080/15538605.2012.648578
- HIV microaggressions: a novel measure of stigma-related experiences among people living with HIV.J Behav Med. 2020; 43: 34-43https://doi.org/10.1007/s10865-019-00064-x
- Developing mindfulness in college students through movement-based courses: effects on self-regulatory self-efficacy, mood, stress, and sleep quality.J Am Coll Health. 2010; 58: 433-442https://doi.org/10.1080/07448480903540481
- Age and sleep disturbances among American men and women: data from the U.S. Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System.Sleep. 2012; 35: 395-406https://doi.org/10.5665/sleep.1704
- Subtle and intersectional minority stress and depressive symptoms among sexual and gender minority adolescents of color: mediating role of self-esteem and sense of mastery.Prev Sci. 2022; 23: 142-153https://doi.org/10.1007/s11121-021-01294-9
- Cortisol profiles differ by race/ethnicity among young sexual minority men.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2017; 75: 1-4https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2016.10.006
- Private self-consciousness and the five-factor model of personality: distinguishing rumination from reflection.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1999; 76: 284-304https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1994
- Use of actigraphy for the evaluation of sleep disorders and circadian rhythm sleep-wake disorders: an American Academy of Sleep Medicine Clinical Practice Guideline.J Clin Sleep Med. 2018; 14: 1231-1237https://doi.org/10.5664/jcsm.7230