Abbreviations:AASM (American Academy of Sleep Medicine), AE (Adverse Events), AHI (Apnea-Hypopnea Index), BLE (Low-energy Bluetooth), BMI (Body Mass Index), CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid), CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure), ECG (Electrocardiogram), EDF (European Data Format), EEG (Electroencephalogram), EMG (Electromyogram), EOG (Electrooculogram), HSAT (Home Sleep Apnea Testing), OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnea), POSA (Positional Obstructive Sleep Apnea), PSG (Nocturnal Polysomnography), RDI (Respiratory disturbance index), RIP (Respiratory inductance plethysmography), SpO2 (Oxygen Saturation), WLP (Wesper Lab Patches), TST (Total Sleep Time)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Sleep Health: Journal of the National Sleep Foundation
- Estimation of the global prevalence and burden of obstructive sleep apnoea: a literature-based analysis.Lancet Respir Med. 2019; 7: 687-698https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(19)30198-5
Kapur VK. Obstructive sleep apnea: diagnosis, epidemiology, and economics. Respir Care 2010;55(9):1155-67. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20799998, http://rc.rcjournal.com/content/respcare/55/9/1155.full.pdf).
- Increased prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing in adults.Am J Epidemiol. 2013; 177: 1006-1014https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kws342
- Obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome.Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2015; 1: 15015https://doi.org/10.1038/nrdp.2015.15
- Immediate consequences of respiratory events in sleep disordered breathing.Sleep Med. 2005; 6: 123-130https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2004.08.005
- Sleep-disordered breathing and cardiovascular health.Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2005; 11: 501-506https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mcp.0000183058.52924.70
- Sleep apnea: types, mechanisms, and clinical cardiovascular consequences.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 69: 841-858https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2016.11.069
- Prospective study of the association between sleep-disordered breathing and hypertension.N Engl J Med. 2000; 342: 1378-1384https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200005113421901
- Ancoli-Israel S. Changes in cognitive function associated with sleep disordered breathing in older people.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001; 49: 1622-1627https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1532-5415.2001.t01-1-49270.x
- Obesity, obstructive sleep apnoea and metabolic syndrome.Respirology. 2012; 17: 223-236https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1843.2011.02081.x
- Frequency of sleep apnea in stroke and TIA patients: a meta-analysis.J Clin Sleep Med. 2010; 6: 131-137
- Long-term follow-up of sleep disordered breathing in older adults.Sleep Med. 2001; 2: 511-516https://doi.org/10.1016/s1389-9457(00)00096-4
- Sleep-disordered breathing in community-dwelling elderly.Sleep. 1991; 14: 486-495https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/14.6.486
- Prevalence and correlates of sleep-disordered breathing in older men: osteoporotic fractures in men sleep study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007; 55: 1356-1364https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2007.01290.x
- An economic evaluation of home versus laboratory-based diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea.Sleep. 2015; 38: 1027-1037https://doi.org/10.5665/sleep.4804
Berry RB, Quan SF, Abreu AR, Bibbs ML, DelRosso L, Harding SM. The AASM manual for the scoring of sleep and associated events: rules, terminology and technical specifications, version 2.6 Darien, Illinios: American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
Collop NA, Anderson WM, Boehlecke B, et al. Clinical guidelines for the use of unattended portable monitors in the diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea in adult patients. Portable Monitoring Task Force of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. J Clin Sleep Med 2007;3(7):737-47. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18198809, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2556918/pdf/jcsm.3.7.737.pdf, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2556918/pdf/jcsm.3.7.737.pdf).
- Obstructive sleep apnea devices for out-of-center (OOC) testing: technology evaluation.J Clin Sleep Med. 2011; 7: 531-548https://doi.org/10.5664/JCSM.1328
- Clinical practice guideline for diagnostic testing for adult obstructive sleep apnea: an American Academy of Sleep Medicine Clinical Practice Guideline.J Clin Sleep Med. 2017; 13: 479-504https://doi.org/10.5664/jcsm.6506
- Methodological strategies in using home sleep apnea testing in research and practice.Sleep Breath. 2018; 22: 569-577https://doi.org/10.1007/s11325-017-1593-3
International Organization for Standardization. 2018. Biological evaluation of medical devices - Part 1: Evaluation and testing within a risk management process. (ISO 10993-1). Retrieved from http://www.iso.org/standard/68936.html.
- AASM Scoring Manual Updates for 2017 (Version 2.4).J Clin Sleep Med. 2017; 13: 665-666https://doi.org/10.5664/jcsm.6576
- The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Rules, Terminology and Technical Specifications.American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Darien, IL2020
- Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement.Lancet. 1986; 1 (Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement.): 307-310
- Diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea by peripheral arterial tonometry: meta-analysis.JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013; 139: 1343-1350https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoto.2013.5338
- Detection of inspiratory flow limitation during sleep by computer assisted respiratory inductive plethysmography.Eur Respir J. 2000; 15: 570-578https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1399-3003.2000.15.24.x
- Measurement of the separate volume changes of rib cage and abdomen during breathing.J Appl Physiol. 1967; 22: 407-422https://doi.org/10.1152/jappl.19184.108.40.2067
- Pediatric obstructive sleep apnea assessment using pulse oximetry and dual RIP bands.in: Conference proceedings: Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Conference. 2010. 2010: 6154-6157https://doi.org/10.1109/IEMBS.2010.5627777
- Effect of sleep position on sleep apnea severity.Sleep. 1984; 7: 110-114https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/7.2.110
- Sleep apnea and body position during sleep.Sleep. 1988; 11: 90-99https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/11.1.90
- Positional vs nonpositional obstructive sleep apnea patients: anthropomorphic, nocturnal polysomnographic, and multiple sleep latency test data.Chest. 1997; 112: 629-639https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.112.3.629
- Positional OSA part 2: retrospective cohort analysis with a new classification system (APOC).Sleep Breath. 2016; 20: 881-888https://doi.org/10.1007/s11325-015-1206-y
- Improving the performance of peripheral arterial tonometry-based testing for the diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea.J Investig Med. 2020; 68: 1370-1378https://doi.org/10.1136/jim-2020-001448
- An evaluation of the NightOwl home sleep apnea testing system.J Clin Sleep Med. 2018; 14: 1791-1796https://doi.org/10.5664/jcsm.7398
- The SleepStrip: an apnoea screener for the early detection of sleep apnoea syndrome.Eur Respir J. 2002; 19: 121-126https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.02.00227302
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Institutions where work was performed: Valley Medical Center, Ridgewood, NJ and Northwell Health Sleep Center, Great Neck, NY.