This study aimed to examine the association between sleep quality and physical performance among a group of UK community-dwelling older adults, according to sex.
Sleep quality was assessed using the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index. Physical performance was assessed using a short physical performance battery (SPPB), a timed up-and-go, and a hand-grip strength test.
Of 591 eligible study members, 401 completed the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index. In regression analyses, men who reported poor sleep quality were significantly more likely to have a poor SPPB score, even after adjustment for confounding factors (OR = 2.54, 95% CI 1.10-5.89, P= .03). The direction of the relationship was reversed among women, where those who reported poor sleep were less likely to have a low SPPB score (OR = 0.36, 95% CI 0.15-0.85, P = .02). Poor sleep quality was associated with poorer hand-grip strength among women (regression coefficient = −0.34 z score, 95% CI −0.64, −0.04, P = .03), but this relationship was not observed among men (regression coefficient = 0.28 z score, 95% CI −0.01, 0.57, P = .06).
We found evidence of an association between poor sleep quality and poorer physical performance in older adults, though there appear to be important sex differences.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Sleep Health: Journal of the National Sleep Foundation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Assessing recurrent fall risk of community-dwelling, frail older veterans using specific tests of mobility and the physical performance test of function.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1998; 53: M457-M464
- Physical impairment and disability: relationship to performance of activities of daily living in community-dwelling older men.Phys Ther. 2002; 82: 752-761
- Relationships among disordered sleep and cognitive and functional status in nursing home residents.Res Gerontol Nurs. 2009; 2: 183-191
- Grip strength among community-dwelling older people predicts hospital admission during the following decade.Age Ageing. 2015; 44: 954-959
- Initial level and rate of change in grip strength predict all-cause mortality in very old adults.Age Ageing. 2017; 46: 970-976
- Physical capability predicts mortality in late mid-life as well as in old age: findings from a large British cohort study.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2018; 74: 77-82
- Sleep and sleep disorders in older adults.Neuropsychol Rev. 2011; 21: 41-53
- Sleep and biomarkers in the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing: associations with C-reactive protein, fibrinogen, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate and hemoglobin.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2013; 38: 1484-1493
- Sleep in normal aging.Sleep Med Clin. 2018; 13: 1-11
- Sleep disturbance in relation to health-related quality of life in adults: the Fels Longitudinal Study.J Nutr Health Aging. 2009; 13: 576-583
- Association of sleep duration with chronic diseases in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC)-Potsdam study.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e30972
- Sleep duration and all-cause mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies.Sleep. 2010; 33: 585-592
- Sleep, muscle mass and muscle function in older people.Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2016; 113: 253-260
- Sleep and muscle recovery: endocrinological and molecular basis for a new and promising hypothesis.Med Hypotheses. 2011; 77: 220-222
- Effects of sleep deprivation on cognitive and physical performance in university students.Sleep Biol Rhythms. 2017; 15: 217-225
- Sleep and athletic performance: the effects of sleep loss on exercise performance, and physiological and cognitive responses to exercise.Sports Med. 2015; 45: 161-186
- Factors related to sleep disturbance in older adults experiencing knee pain or knee pain with radiographic evidence of knee osteoarthritis.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000; 48: 1241-1251
- Associations of sleep disturbance with physical function and cognition in older adults with cancer.Support Care Cancer. 2017; 25: 3161-3169
- The association between sleep duration and hand grip strength in community-dwelling older adults: the Yilan Study, Taiwan.Sleep. 2017; 40
- Cross-sectional association between walking pace and sleep-disordered breathing.Int J Sports Med. 2015; 36: 843-847
- Poor sleep is associated with poorer physical performance and greater functional limitations in older women.Sleep. 2007; 30: 1317-1324
- Association between sleep and physical function in older men: the osteoporotic fractures in men sleep study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008; 56: 1665-1673
- Age and gender patterns in associations between lifestyle factors and physical performance in older Korean adults.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2014; 59: 338-345
- Self-reported quality of sleep is associated with physical strength among community-dwelling young-old adults.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2017; 17: 1808-1813
- Sleep duration and all-cause mortality: links to physical activity and prefrailty in a 27-year follow up of older adults in the UK.Sleep Med. 2019; 54: 231-237
- Cohort profile: the hertfordshire cohort study.Int J Epidemiol. 2005; 34: 1234-1242
- The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research.Psychiatry Res. 1989; 28: 193-213
- A short physical performance battery assessing lower extremity function: association with self-reported disability and prediction of mortality and nursing home admission.J Gerontol. 1994; 49: M85-M94
- Plasma polyunsaturated fatty acids and age-related physical performance decline.Rejuvenation Res. 2009; 12: 25-32
- Using the short physical performance battery to screen for frailty in young-old adults with distinct socioeconomic conditions.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2013; 13: 421-428
- The timed "Up & Go": a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991; 39: 142-148
- A review of the measurement of grip strength in clinical and epidemiological studies: towards a standardised approach.Age Ageing. 2011; 40: 423-429
- Sex differences in subjective and actigraphic sleep measures: a population-based study of elderly persons.Sleep. 2009; 32: 1367-1375
- Factors contributing to muscle wasting and dysfunction in COPD patients.Int J Chronic Obstructive Pulm Dis. 2007; 2: 289-300
- Relationships between the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI), Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS), and clinical/polysomnographic measures in a community sample.J Clin Sleep Med. 2008; 4: 563-571
- Validation of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index and the Epworth Sleepiness Scale in older black and white women.Sleep Med. 2012; 13: 36-42
- Reliability and validity of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index and the Epworth Sleepiness Scale in older men.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2012; 67: 433-439
- Self-reported sleep complaints are associated with adverse health outcomes: cross-sectional analysis of the 2002/03 New Zealand Health Survey.Ethnicity Health. 2019; 24: 44-56
- Poor sleep quality and functional decline in older women.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 1092-1098
- Sleep quality in residents of assisted living facilities: effect on quality of life, functional status, and depression.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: 829-836
- The effect of an acute sleep hygiene strategy following a late-night soccer match on recovery of players.Chronobiol Int. 2016; 33: 490-505
Published online: November 20, 2020
© 2020 National Sleep Foundation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.