Design and setting
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Sleep Health: Journal of the National Sleep Foundation
- Women veterans’ healthcare delivery preferences and use by military service era: findings from the National Survey of Women Veterans.J Gen Intern Med. 2013; 28: S571-S576
- Estimated prevalence of insomnia among women veterans: results of a postal survey.Womens Health Issues. 2017; 27: 366-373
- Sleep and substance use disorders: an update.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2014; 16: 487
- Medical risks for women who drink alcohol.J Gen Intern Med. 1998; 13: 627-639
- Prevalence of substance misuse among US veterans in the general population.Am J Addict. 2017; 26: 357-365
- National prevalence and correlates of alcohol misuse in women veterans.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2015; 52: 10-16
- Factors affecting women’s disclosure of alcohol misuse in primary care: a qualitative study with U.S. military veterans.Women’s health issues : official publication of the Jacobs Institute of Women’s Health. 2016; 26: 232-239
- The influence of gender on the doctor-patient interaction.Patient Educ Couns. 2009; 76: 356-360
- Characteristics of insomnia in the United States: results of the 1991 National Sleep Foundation survey.I Sleep. 1999; 22: S347-S353
Baker TB, Piper ME, McCarthy DE, Majeskie MR, Fiore MC. Addiction motivation reformulated: an affective processing model of negative reinforcement. Psychol Rev 2004;111(1):33–51.
- "Homelessness and trauma go hand-in-hand": pathways to homelessness among women veterans.Women’s health issues: official publication of the Jacobs Institute of Women’s Health. 2011; 21: S203-S209
- Does effective management of sleep disorders reduce substance dependence?.Drugs. 2009; 69: 65-75
- Drinking motives moderate daily relationships between PTSD symptoms and alcohol use.J Abnorm Psychol. 2014; 123: 237-247
- Bringing the war back home: mental health disorders among 103,788 US veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan seen at Department of Veterans Affairs facilities.Arch Intern Med. 2007; 167: 476-482
- PTSD risk and mental health care engagement in a multi-war era community sample of women veterans.J Gen Intern Med. 2013; 28: 894-900
- Military sexual trauma among recent veterans: correlates of sexual assault and sexual harassment.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 50: 77-86
- DSM-IV diagnosed posttraumatic stress disorder in women veterans with and without military sexual trauma.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: S65-S69
- Objective evidence of sleep disturbance in women with posttraumatic stress disorder.J Trauma Stress. 2007; 20: 1009-1018
- Insomnia and symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder among women veterans.Behav Sleep Med. 2013; 11: 258-274
- Treating nightmares and insomnia in posttraumatic stress disorder: a review of current evidence.Neuropharmacology. 2012; 62: 576-585
- Insomnia and sleep duration in a large cohort of patients with major depressive disorder and anxiety disorders.J Clin Psychiatry. 2010; 71: 239-246
- Sleep and low doses of alcohol.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1980; 48: 706-709
- Sleep, alcohol and alcohol abuse.Addict Biol. 1997; 2: 151-158
- Disturbed sleep and its relationship to alcohol use.Subst Abus. 2006; 26: 1-13
NIAAA. Harmful Interactions: Mixing alcohol with medicines. In: National Institutes of Health UDoHaHS, ed. Vol NIH Publication No. 13–53292014.
- Acceptability of medication and nonmedication treatment for insomnia among female veterans: effects of age, insomnia severity, and psychiatric symptoms.Clin Ther. 2016; 38: 2373-2385
Agriculture USDoHaHSaUSDo. Dietary guidelines for Americans. 8th edition. December 2015. Available at http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/.2015.
- Validation of the Insomnia Severity Index as an outcome measure for insomnia research.Sleep Med. 2001; 2: 297-307
- The primary care PTSD screen (PC-PTSD): development and operating characteristics.Prim Care Psychiatry. 2004; 9: 9-14
- 2005 Sleep in America Poll: Summary of Findings. In.Washington, D.C, National Sleep Foundation2005
- Posttraumatic stress disorder screening status is associated with increased VA medical and surgical utilization in women.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: S58-S64
- Sleep difficulties and alcohol use motives in female rape victims with posttraumatic stress disorder.J Trauma Stress. 2001; 14: 469-479
NIoAAaA. Rethinking drinking: alcohol and your health (publication no. 13-3770). In: Health NIo, ed. Rockville, MD2010.
Chong Y, Fryar CD, Gu Q. Prescription sleep aid use among adults: United States, 2005-2010. NCHS Date Brief;2013.
- Alcohol and medication interactions. Alcohol research & health.the journal of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. 1999; 23: 40-54
- Clinically important drug interactions with zopiclone, zolpidem and zaleplon.CNS Drugs. 2003; 17: 513-532
- Toxicological interactions between alcohol and benzodiazepines.J Toxicol Clin Toxicol. 2002; 40: 69-75
- Effectiveness of brief alcohol interventions in primary care populations.The Cochrane database of systematic reviews. 2018; 2Cd004148
- Reduction of alcohol consumption by brief alcohol intervention in primary care: systematic review and meta-analysis.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 986-995
- Cognitive behavioral therapy for chronic insomnia: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 163: 191-204
☆All authors have seen and approved the manuscript.
☆There are no conflicts of interest or competing financial interests to report for any author. This research was supported by the VA Quality Enhancement Research Initiative (QUERI; RRP 12-189 ; PI: Martin), Research Service of the VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System (VAGLAHS), and VAGLAHS Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center . Dr Schweizer was supported by the VA Office of Academic Affiliations through the VA Advanced Fellowship Program in Women’s Health at the VA HSR&D Center for the Study of Healthcare Innovation, Implementation and Policy ( CIN 13-417 ). Dr Hoggatt was funded through a VA HSR&D QUERI Career Development Award ( CDA 11-261 ) at the VAGLAHS. Dr Yano’s time was funded by a VA HSR&D Service Senior Research Career Scientist Award (Project # RCS 05-195 ). Dr Martin was supported by the NIH/NHLBI with a Mentoring award ( K24 HL143055 ).