Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Sleep Health: Journal of the National Sleep Foundation
United Nations High Commissioner of Refugees (UNHCR). 2007 Global trends: refugees, asylum-seekers, returnees, internally displaced and stateless persons. 2008; https://www.unhcr.org/statistics/STATISTICS/4852366f2.pdf. Accessed 2 Oct 2018.
United Nations High Commissioner of Refugees (UNHCR). Global trends 2017 forced displacement. 2018; https://www.unhcr.org/5b27be547.pdf. Accessed 02 Oct 2018.
- Association of torture and other potentially traumatic events with mental health outcomes among populations exposed to mass conflict and displacement: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Med Assoc. 2009; 302: 537-549
- The relationship between post-migration stress and psychological disorders in refugees and asylum seekers.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2016; 18: 82
- Mental health and the asylum process.Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine. 2011; 28: 57-60
- Depression and anxiety in labor migrants and refugees—a systematic review and meta-analysis.Soc Sci Med. 2009; 69: 246-257
Turrini G, Purgato M, Ballette F, Nosè M, Ostuzzi G, Barbui C. Common mental disorders in asylum seekers and refugees: umbrella review of prevalence and intervention studies. International Journal of Mental Health Systems 2017;11(51). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13033-017-0156-0.
- Sleep disturbances in posttraumatic stress disorder: updated review and implications for treatment.Psychiatric Annals. 2016; 46: 173-176
- Sleep disturbances in patients with post-traumatic stress disorder: epidemiology, impact and approaches to management.CNS Drugs. 2006; 20: 567-590
Anne Germain. Sleep disturbances as the hallmark of PTSD: where are we now? Am J Psychiatry 2013;170(4):372–382. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.2012.12040432.
- Disturbed sleep in post-traumatic stress disorder: secondary symptom or core feature?.Sleep Med Rev. 2008; 12: 169-184
- A systematic review assessing bidirectionality between sleep disturbances, anxiety, and depression.Sleep. 2013; 36: 1059-1068
- Insomnia in patients with depression: a STAR*D report.CNS Spectr. 2010; 15: 394-404
Boynton L, Bentley J, Strachan E, Barbato A, Raskind M. Preliminary findings concerning the use of prazosin for the treatment of posttraumatic nightmares in a refugee population. J Psychiatr Pract 2009;15(6):454–459. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.pra.0000364287. 63210.92.
- Escape stress, sleep disorders, and assimilation of refugees.Soc Behav Pers. 1990; 18: 287-297
- The prevalence and the predictors of insomnia among refugees.J Health Psychol. 2017; : 1-9
- Insomnia in North Korean refugees: association with depression and post-traumatic stress symptoms.Psychiatry Investig. 2016; 13: 67-73
- Insomnia in a displaced population is related to war-associated remembered stress.Stress and health : journal of the International Society for the Investigation of Stress. 2012; 28: 186-192
- Seeking asylum in Denmark: refugee children's mental health and exposure to violence.Eur J Public Health. 2005; 15: 233-237
- Mental and somatic health and pre- and post-migration factors among older Somali refugees in Finland.Transcult Psychiatry. 2014; 51: 499-525
State Government of Victoria Department of Health. The Victorian refugee and asylum seeker health action plan 2014-18. 2014; httpss://www2.health.vic.gov.au/about/populations/ refugee-asylum-seeker-health. Accessed 2 October 2018.
- Change in visa status amongst Mandaean refugees: relationship to psychological symptoms and living difficulties.Psychiatry Res. 2011; 187: 267-274
Australia Government Department of Home Affairs. Fact sheet—Australia's refugee and humanitarian program. 2015; httpss://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/corporate/information/fact-sheets/60refugee. [Accessed 2 Oct 2018].
Australia Government Department of Home Affairs. Illegal maritime arrivals (IMA) legacy caseload report on status and processing outcomes. 2016; https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/ReportsandPublications/Documents/statistics/ima-legacy-caseload-oct-16.pdf. Accessed 2 Oct 2018.
- Multivariate Data Analysis. Harlow: Pearson Education Limited.2014
- Statistical power analysis.Curr Dir Psychol Sci. 1992; 1: 98-101
- Multivariate Data Analysis with Readings.Macmillan, New York1987
Silove D, Steel Z, Susljik I, et al. Torture, mental health status and the outcomes of refugee applications among recently arrived asylum seekers in Australia. International Journal of Migration, Health and Social Care 2006; 2(1):4–14. https://doi.org/10.1108/17479894200600002.
Schweitzer R, Buckley L, Rossi D. The psychological treatment of refugees and asylum seekers: what does the literature tell us? Mots Pluriels 2002; 21:https://motspluriels.arts.uwa.edu.au/MP2102sbr.html. Accessed 2 October 2018.
- A critique of seven assumptions behind psychological trauma programmes in war-affected areas.Soc Sci Med. 1999; 48: 1449-1462
- The ADAPT model: a conceptual framework for mental health and psychosocial programming in post conflict settings.Intervention. 2013; 11: 237-248
- A 3-year follow-up study of psychosocial functioning and general symptoms in settled refugees.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2002; 106: 415-425
- “It comes down to just how human someone can be”: a qualitative study with young people from refugee backgrounds about their experiences of Australian mental health services.Transcult Psychiatry. 2017; 54: 23-45
United Nations Children's Fund & International Medical Corps (UNICEF). Mental health psychosocial and child protection for Syrian adolescent refugees in Jordan. 2014; httpss://data2.unhcr.org/fr/documents/download/42632. [Accessed 2 October 2018].
International Rescue Committee (IRC). Cross-sectoral assessment of Syrian refugees in urban areas of south and central Jordan. 2013; httpss://data2.unhcr.org/en/documents/ details/38299. Accessed 02 Oct 2018.
- In or out? Barriers and facilitators to refugee-background young people accessing mental health services.Transcult Psychiatry. 2015; 52: 766-790
Mollica R, Caridad K, Massagli M. Longitudinal study of posttraumatic stress disorder, depression, and changes in traumatic memories over time in Bosnian refugees. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 2007;195(7):572–529. https://doi.org/10.1097/NMD.0b013e 318093ed2c.
- The effect of data collection mode and ethnicity of interviewer on response rates and self-reported alcohol use among Turks and Moroccans in the Netherlands: an experimental study.Alcohol Alcohol. 2005; 40: 242-248
- Mode of questionnaire administration can have serious effects on data quality.J Public Health. 2005; 27: 281-291
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.2nd ed. Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ1988